www.hantsmoths.org.uk

wordpress statistics
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Photography
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:28 pm 

Hello all.
This week, I've had my first couple of records for this year (hoping everyone else is having luck?) and have taken the usual shaky shots for ID purposes. My question then is can anyone out there recommend a compact digi camera with a good enough macro zoom to take decent moth pics reliably?
I'm currently using a Canon Ixus 40 which is a nice enough camera but regularly refuses to focus, or when it does, only picks up on random areas. Macro moths for the most part come out quite well, but my attempts at micros are very sad indeed. I've had various cameras suggested but what are your thoughts.

Regards

Chris

Post subject: Re: Photography
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

This forum is rather quiet isn't it (says he who set it up and rarely has time to look in nowadays!). I can't help personally - I don't think anything can beat a DSLR for flexibility, but others may disagree. At the very least, hope this reply serves as a bounce!

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:38 pm 

Thanks for the input Mike :-) For the moment I'll keep on putting forwards my 'shaky shots' (like this morning for instance) but the frustration is tangible.

Hope the little blighters are abundant in your trap

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:38 am 

Hi Chris,
I've not been around the forum in some time, but use & recommend the site religously. I hope this is helpful, we started with a Panasonic DMC-FZ18, with a Raynox macro conversion, and for night shots a take out salad tub cut and put on the end to bounce flash. We moved to the newer models (DMC-FZ38) but the sensors stay small while the megapixels enlarged and ruined the quality for any low light situations. Although for macro, in good light, or with diffused flash, it was still good for moths. We still have an 18 we use, along with the canon 500D (and raynox still), and to be honest the panasonic is just as good or better for macro work because the depth of field is better.

You could probably pick one up on ebay reasonably cheap and they take brilliant distance shots as well, just whip the macro off (it clips on) and you can chase birds as well.

The macro conversion, there are quite a few on the market but they are mostly terrible quality, splash out for the raynox £40 to £70.00 depending on which one you get.

I hope as its relavent no one will mind links to a few examples
Panasonic FZ18 with Raynox Daylight
Panasonic FZ18 with Raynox Night/Flash
Panasonic FZ38 with Raynox Night/Flash

Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:18 pm 

Hello Crystal
Please accept my apologies on not answering your post sooner. Unforgiveable :o . That's some really useful information thanks and judging by the pics, sound advice. Now that we are heading into Spring and the warmer weather (ha ha ha ha....sigh) I hope to start thinking again about sorting this out.
Kind regards

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:04 pm 

Hi Chris

I'd be very interested to find out what you decide to get, as I'm in the same boat. My other half takes some nice photos with a proper grown-up camera, but if I just want a quick record shot I'm using an IXUS, and it doesn't always focus where I want it to. However it's quite old, and the better of the newer ones have centre of viewfinder focus option and focus up to 1cm from lens. So I'm tempted to stick with a compact point and shoot, as it's small quick and easy. I might at least get a record of all the things that disappear while the real photographer is still changing the lens!

Sarah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:48 pm 

Hello Sarah
Sounds like you're exactly where I am at the moment! I want crisp record shots and my Ixus 40 does give me a few issues, especially on some of the micros. I also want it simple so that I get a decent shot before the little rascals decide to fly off (normally just as I'm lining up the shot.)
As well as the advice that Crystal posted, I have a friend who has recommended the Pentax WG range (I'm considering the WG3). Their selling point is the fact that they can do underwater stuff and that they're very rugged but I'm only really interested in the fact that they have a 1cm focus and the pics that I've seen taken with them are really nice so I'll probably go with it.

Good luck!

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:19 pm 

I've just looked up some reviews for Pentax vs Canon, I'll PM them to you.