www.hantsmoths.org.uk

wordpress statistics
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:22 am 

Hi. Over the last few weeks having been unscathed from the affects of nasty biting things over 30 years of mothing I have been subject to some really nasty little insects.

The first occurred following trapping and picking up the traps the morning after during the last weeks of September. I felt as though I had a thorn in the back of my left thigh and eventually I got Chrissie my partener a former nurse to examine the problem. After resorting to a hand lens and tweezers she pulled a thing out of my leg. Under the micro-scope it was found to be a lavae/maggot. Very small less than 2mm and very thin. It had my blood on the thin end and a head with two scimitar like things projecting form it which was the thing I felt like a thorn. It went off via the doctors to the lab but they could not identify the beast. Any offers. All the local gamekeepers know nothing of this thing.

They do know about the second thing that litterally descended on me. It is also tiny, 1.5mm long had round wings and under the microscope looks like the most evil cross betqween a spider and a scorpion without the tail. It has huge claws on each foot and pincers. I have been told it is a red deer ked. Which does not like human blood but still has a go and irritates like hell for a month. Lucky for me I did not allow the thing to stick its probosis into me but having had the thing fall on my eye lid I had great difficulty removing it yeuk.

If you know anything about these things please let me know

David Evans :?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Nasty David - I'd suggest you send the first one off to the entomological section of one of the natural history museums, perhaps Hampshire or even British Museum. I've found the latter to be very helpful.

Of course, if you were a true entomologist ( ;) ) you'd have left it in your leg to breed it through!...

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:07 am 

MikeWall wrote:
Nasty David - I'd suggest you send the first one off to the entomological section of one of the natural history museums, perhaps Hampshire or even British Museum. I've found the latter to be very helpful.

Of course, if you were a true entomologist ( ;) ) you'd have left it in your leg to breed it through!...

Mike

Thats just what I said to the doc. When I get another beast i'll let it grow through its instars and docquement it on video. Hmm Dont reckon my partener soon to be my wife would agree. Have you looked up deer ked gruesome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:49 pm 

My goodness, both of them sound horrible little things (I havent looked up the second one yet but I will tomorrow - its always good to know of anything horrible that might bite you lol).

Never heard of anyone having a maggot-like thing on them - yuk. If you do find out what it was, do let us know.

Linda