www.hantsmoths.org.uk

wordpress statistics
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi all,

As traffic on this site hasn't improved, with all due respect and thanks to the seasoned regulars, as the year draws to a close I wonder again about whether it is worth keeping the forum going. I'm thinking that the same offering could be made via a Hantsmoths Facebook page. What do others think (I know I've canvassed a few of you in the past about the lack of footfall)?

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:19 pm 

Sadly i think you are probably right, I rarely use any of the 4 forums i used to use, BGM, WAB, Birdforum and of course this one, to busy with all the Moth stuff i have to do in Essex these days, i dont use facebook but i will keep in touch via email.
Steve.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Steve.

I'll leave this question open until the year end...

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:48 pm 

Mike, this is a difficult question in the low season as many people who use the site in the spring/summer will not be thinking about 'moffy' questions. As the two most used forums on your site ie. Identification & Field Records are most active, would there be a case for continuing a truncated form of the MothTalk site - maybe relaunched as, for instance, 'What Moth Q & As' or something eyecatching as an adjunct to Hants Moths? We are not technical & don't know if this would be feasable or too expensive. We feel that Moth Talk was not widely known therefore underused. There were certainly more visits than contributions. Mike, your identification skills & great knowlege are respected by many, it would be such a pity for more people who would like sensible discussion on the finer points & pitfalls of moth-ing to miss out on your expertise.

This is a long posting which could possibly have been made shorter but if it is that you are looking to pare your budget or have grown weary with this activity, then please forgive us. We have never used Facebook & do not know how useful it is but ultimately it is for you to decide.

One other question, how will you advertise a possible closure to those who visit only in the summer months? :( Jean & Graham

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Jean. As for making the forum better known, I'm not sure I can do more than I have done. It has been running for nearly two years now and hasn't really shown any form of growth - in fact, traffic now is less than it was a year ago, so while I accept that winter will obviously see a decline in footfall over the summer, the underlying trend is down (unlike Hantsmoths as a whole, which has shown organic growth of 20-70% year on year for the past six years, although).

I had hoped it would prove attractive to those who might get disenchanted with the inane chatter that goes on in BGM, but obviously not! If BGM and Birdforum service the needs of the greater majority then it is difficult to swim against the tide: heavy traffic attracts in more users, and it becomes self perpetuating.

I will explore a number of options over the next few weeks. Whatever way this goes, I would let all active subscribers know via email.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:27 pm 

Not to use emotional blackmail or anything remotely like that, but I, for one, would be utterly devastated. I can't abide BGM any more. I'm really not interested in pages and pages in what light someone is using the upcoming night with which white sheet and which battery under which tree etc etc I do try to post my catches reasonably regularly but I don't get particularly exciting moths or enormous numbers here compared to you lot down there. I probably haven't posted enough though, but that's mainly because I haven't done so much trapping this year. I would hate to see the forum gone, but that is for purely selfish reasons. I like the good, sensible, interesting information and "chat". A cut-down version would be fine with me, particularly sections on catches, ID and general interest. I don't do My Space Face and the ilk, I prefer a good, solid, simple forum. As I said to you before, one of the main reasons I suspect some folk are here from outside Hants is because of knowledgeable people like you who are very helpful. The final decision is yours of course. The problem with making a forum too "popular" is that it can end up like the other place, and then we go round in circles. If the issue is cost or maintenance I'm sure we could all work together to take some of the burden off your shoulders.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:18 am 

'just a few thoughts......
perhaps the name leads to some reluctance to join and talk? I know there are many people here from outside Hampshire but at first glance it could be misleading.
Also, is there a need to compare this forum with other sites? I think not. It is not the same as all the others because of its no frills approach and so be proud of that fact. Surely it will attract people of a like mind, given time.
Personally, I enjoy reading about white sheets and what bulbs are used but then I am a beginner with moths and need as much info as possible. But at the same time I look here every morning to read about what has been caught and enjoy all the pics posted.
To close this forum will be a shame because as mentioned there are really knowledgeable people here the like of which I and others would rarely be in contact with otherwise.
Also other sites,especially at this time of year, are in a way creating artificial traffic by use of contrived talking points by posting links from newspapers etc...which is fine and it works but its not needed here . Quality not quantity is whats needed,give this place another year and see what happens naturally.
Another point...perhaps turn this site into a Micro only forum????

some of my moth pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lapommangels/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:38 am 

Hi Mike, Liz has pretty much expressed how I feel. I know I don't post that frequently but I regularly look in to check on things and would really miss this place. It really is a case of quality over quantity for me.

Cheers,
N

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:09 am 

I couldn't agree more with Liz and Nigel. For me, this forum attracts different people and is a different sort of tone to for example Back Garden Moths. Unless you are losing a fortune keeping this running, I for one would be very sorry to see it disappear. It has been invaluable to many of us since you started it. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:03 am 
Site Admin

OK guys. The main admin problem i have is that it attracts a high degree of spam user requests, which i haven't worked out how to stop. I have had to try and filter out kosher users to allow in which is an invidious task.

I'll have a think about it - my current priority is recovering from a fractured collarbone!

Mike