www.hantsmoths.org.uk

wordpress statistics
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:28 pm 

They are the dominant butterflies in the garden this month - normally get fleeting glimpses of them, this year they are not at all shy.

Brimstone is very regular too & Small White are now appearing. Comma is usually pretty common but not so many this season. A pale Holly Blue (overwinterer) appeared in the lovely spring sunshine this afternoon. Jean & Graham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:05 pm 

Two Speckled Wood spiralling into the air in typical fashion this afternoon + at least 3 Peacock, Brimstone, Small White & loads of bumble bees. Buff-tail is dominant. White-tail are emerging now, Tree Bee & Red-tail still appearing plus other un-identified bumbles. Jean & Graham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:01 pm 

Hi J&G, long time no speak :) I took a year out from mothing last year to study fungi which was good but now I'm back mothing and raring to go!

You make it sound like it's summer round your neck of the woods with all your bees and butterflies, it's still pretty chilly up here in Yorkshire although I did see a Small Tortoiseshell yesterday.

I also found my first bagworms a week or so ago (they are quite scarce up here) but what a beauty it is - Diplodoma laichartingella. It has everything apart from the kitchen sink on it's back!
Attachment:
180 Diplodoma laichartingella..jpg
180 Diplodoma laichartingella..jpg [ 125.99 KiB | Viewed 3342 times ]

Sad to hear about Back Garden Moths shutting up shop, it had it's knockers but I gained an awful lot from it as I'm sure did many.

Good to see you're both still recording leps and hope you are both fit and well and ready for the mothing marathon in the months ahead :D

Charlie.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:54 pm 

Charlie :D Lovely to hear from you again & what a lovely/ugly bagworm. Sadly my back has let me down from the point of view of trapping. We're both still photographing insects around the garden though, on fine days. Sometimes they come a little too close, like the Tabanus sudeticus female last summer who tried to take a bite out of my back, looking for a blood meal in order to lay her eggs - lovely looking diptera. We're gaining records of night visitors via our day/night camera & trail cam. We were doing the Hedgehog Street survey from Feb. 1st. last year until June when we suddenly caught a badger on camera. No hogs now. A shame as we had been watching hogs mating behaviour in March.

We're getting less time now as we are again putting our place on the market after the winter.

Back Garden Moths seem to have been targeted for some time & the hackers finally got their way. Nature UK have given space to lost moffers & there are a few of us on there, which was very kind of them. They made us feel 'at home'.

Mike pops in here very infrequently, which is a shame. Perhaps the site will become a little more active in future. Glad to see you back though & Dave & Paula on Nature UK would absolutely love your insect adventures, they are passionate about them, & Dave would love to hear about the fungi which is another great interest of his - perhaps you will join us. :) Jean & Graham

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:54 am 

Sorry to hear about your back Jean (I'm assuming it's you and not Graham?) maybe it's time to stop trapping and start leaf mining at last :lol:

I've not head of Nature UK before but will definitely have a look and maybe see you both there.

Bye for now,

Charlie.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:20 pm 

Hi Charlie, I saw your bagworm photos on the Yorkshire Moths website, a fantastic find and great photos! Andy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:39 pm 

Hi Andy, bagworms have been a real thorn in my side for some time. They seem so common a little further south but I've never found them before this year so really pleased about that. I must say though that with this species even when I was shown what they were I could scarcely detect any obvious signs of larval activity, they just looked like tiny fragments of woodland detritus - which I suppose they were in a sense.

Good luck if you're thinking of looking for them!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:19 am 

Thanks Charlie. I've found a few of the commoner species, it must be beginner's luck! Andy